Monday, May 23, 2005

Racing update

I'm not racing the Giro, but I am doing cat 3 races now. I did my first cat 3 criterium last week (May 15th) in Rancho Cordova, CA. I was quite nervous on the start line as I had not done a cat 3 race in over 10 years and only been doing cat 5 races the last year and a half. What I did have on my side was years of experience in pro races and the knowledge of how to stay involved in the thick of the race. After the first few laps I knew I wouldn't be having any trouble finishing the race with the group, but now I wanted to win.

I worked hard trying to get in a break or start a break. But the racing was very negative and after 30 minutes of trying to get away I realized this thing was coming down to a field sprint.

Unfortunately, I had no teammates to help and fought to get to the front for the sprint. I finished a disappointing 20th place. That wasn't too bad for the first Cat 3 race in a long time but not what I wanted. I thought I had finished 25th and my dad thought I finished 11th. I guess it was right in the middle.

No comments: