Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Back on the bike


Two weeks ago I did a monster ride up through the foothills and the lower climbs of the Sierra's with 3 other guys. It was about 6.5 hrs and unfortunately I only had a 39x23 gear for the climbs. We went up some long steep climbs that I really needed at least a 39x25 for, at minimum. One such climb was called "prospector road" off of Hwy 49, before we got to Georgetown. This climb I did about 4mph the entire way up and my knees about popped whenever I tried to climb sitting down. The good news is that I didn't stop on the climb or on any of the numerous climbs and for the entire ride I didn't bonk either.

I followed up that ride with some good workouts that week and then a nice hard ride last Sunday as well. My intervals are going fine and I'm seeing some big improvements on my stamina, weight loss and power. I still need more time during the day to ride and really get my fitness to a better place. I would ultimately like to do some Masters racing and look to do Masters Nationals. But I still have to golf, so that's a tough one.

No comments: