Saturday, March 02, 2013

Helmet straps, most aggressive and some road rash

Eric attacking after Casey is caught.
What a weird day of racing.  The Merco Credit Union Cycling Classic offered up a great criterium today with a nice technical race in downtown Merced.  The 2013 McDonalds Grand Prix (as the race today was called) is part of a stage race for the Pro Men and women and even some Master's racers.  But for me, it was a one day event starting with packing the kids in the car at 7 am and heading south for a speedy car ride.  If my memory serves me correctly, I did this stage race several times in the late 90's with Oilme Racing and I had a few demons to exercise.

At the start line Data Driven Athlete Racing team lined up four guys with Eric, Casey, Curt and Tyler (myself.)  While waiting for the start, veteran US cycling announcer Dave Towle remarked how he liked our kit.  Thanks Dave!  As is the deal in racing, with a nice looking kit that grabs the eye (see our bright helmets and matching shoes) you have to back up your appearance by racing like you deserve to wear it.

But backing up our sex-appeal took a hard hit right as the race started when Curt's helmet strap came undone.  I mean, it didn't come unhooked, the little mechanism used to keep the straps together actually came undone.  Curt tried to get a "free lap" (as is available in a crit for a crash or technical mishap) but the race officials said "no" commencing in Curt giving chase for at least 5 laps.  While this seems like a rookie move  by Curt (he's no rookie), ask yourself when the last time you checked your helmet strap was.  Probably never.  (on a helmet side note, when was the last time you washed your helmet?  Wearing that grungy stink sponge for all those training miles and never washing it is likely why most guys never get to ride with the hot girls - but I digress).



Meanwhile, at the other end of the field, Casey and Eric were constantly attacking trying to get into a small break.  When one attempt would be brought back (and they always are in the E3 negative racing circuit), Eric or Casey would then try to go again.  It was fantastic to see and be a part of.  As for me, I just stayed at the front and tried to make gaps when they would attack in the hopes that someone would bridge and the field would be content in letting them go.  My legs felt "not so good" anyway, so I was biding my time for what seems to be the inevitable sprint finish.

With the last 5 laps coming on, Casey and Eric both had me towards the front with Eric lining out the field and then Casey took me up further.  Now I love this Merced course with it's technical corners, big crowds and the constant smell of funnel cake at the start finish.  However, I'm not sure the city of Merced has fixed a pothole or paved the roads since the days Moonbeam Jerry Brown was governor of California - the first time.  Instead of fixing the holes, Merced appears to have just put more bot-dots down to make the corners more exciting.  Mission accomplished.

So on the last 2 laps the field started surging and the potholes and bot-dots were rocking our bikes while more than a few riders took some really questionable lines as is normal in a crit and at this level.  Casey's work was done, he yelled to me to go, and I jumped on Andrew Berg's wheel - a local rider from Sacramento that seems to have endless brute strength.  Andrew got me at the line a few weeks ago in Folsom and I knew he was the guy to follow.  Maybe this time I could reverse the roll and get better than a 3rd place.

As we rounded the last 3 corners it appeared my decision to follow Andrew would pay off handsomely as we were moving up the field at a good pace.  The good news was, my legs were finally responding and I was licking my chops for a good sprint finish.  Then just before the last corner, I noticed Andrew's body lurch and I instantly knew someone had caused a crash.  Andrew went into the wreckage and I tried to get past him on the left near the gutter, only to T-bone a fallen rider and go head-over-heals onto my right shoulder, hand and elbow.  Day over, sprint not contested and about 4 hrs driving for the day for naught.  Comparing rookie mistakes, it seems causing a wreck from the FRONT trumps helmet straps everyday.

While road rash isn't pleasant, if no bones are broken then the worst outcome is to ruin the bike, wheels or clothing.  The bike is still just fine, as are the wheels.  But the jersey has probably seen it's last day for racing (it'll still work for a training ride I think).

While the weird day of racing ended with a wreck and started with a stupid strap mishap, in the middle DDAR had a good race.  In fact, Casey Fallon was given the most aggressive rider award.  I can only imagine that he barely won it over his own teammate, Eric Brickler.  Great racing guys and at a great venue.  Thanks to Dave Towle for showing up to announce and making the lower categories feel important too, my kids think we are at least.

* Photo credits - Mason Janke, a 12 yr old with an Iphone (sorry).


No comments: